Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Media Counterpoint

Mel at Blog For Democracy provides somewhat of a counterpoint to my Media Euthanasia piece.

The conventional wisdom in the local blogoshere seems to be that the MSM, or at least the local MSM, just doesn't get it when it comes to new media or, if you prefer, web 2.0. While I can't completely disagree, I'm pretty sure this condition is temporary. Big media has never lacked the resources to make major leaps in technology (when needed or mandated), they've only occasionally lacked the will. I think this is about to change.

I do not necessarily disagree with some of her arguments. In the video and audio arenas, big media certainly have the technology and money to swoop in and produce "higher quality" product. Not so with writing. Although I think there is a place for the professional journalist class and you cannot ignore their training, you can't simply pour money in and create a well written piece. Then again, some in the new media believe "print" in all forms may be a dying form. I certainly hope not.

No comments: