Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Saxby Chambliss' Slip Of The Tongue

I hate that I even feel the need to comment on this. Currently simmering, hopefully that is all it will do, is controversy over the following quote by Georgia Senator Saxby Chambliss:

We need better intelligence. If we had better intelligence in the Civil War
we’d be quoting Jefferson Davis, not Lincoln.

It should be noted that Senator Chambliss' office disputes the quote.

Even though he is from the south, even though he represents my state, even though he is from my hometown, I am not going to defend Chambliss. There is no need for any defense. In my mind, the only thing Chambliss is guilty of is a poorly worded analogy.

Chambliss and I agree on practically nothing but I do not believe he is a closet racist or Confederate apologist. Any attempt to crucify him over this statement borders on the ridiculous. There are plenty of areas to criticize and question Chambliss. This is not one of them.

No comments: