Saturday, September 02, 2006

True Crazy

Just when you think things can't get more ridiculous along comes David Warren. He's a wee bit upset that journalists Steven Centanni and Olaf Wiig didn't "martyr" themselves while held captive. Instead, in his eyes, they showed their "cowardice" by "converting" to Islam at gunpoint.

You think I exaggerate? I'm just another weak willed liberal? Well, let's just take a look at Warren's own words.

Let's start with the truly absurd.

I assume they are not Christians (few journalists are)

Do what? I don't know if this is true or not and I doubt Warren knows either. Are we to assume that most journalists are pagans? Smearing blood on their naked bodies while dancing in the moonlight? No, I think the clear insinuation here is most journalists are souless atheist doomed to burn in the pits of hell.

...they might have grasped that conversion to Islam means denial of Christ,
and that is something many millions of Christians (few of them intellectuals)
have refused to do, even at the cost of excruciating deaths.

So those poor pitiful martyrs were dumbasses? Well, that's an argument for another day. I'm pretty sure what Warren is getting at here is "smart" people are cowardly. Faith trumps intelligence. Always.

You don't necessarily have to be a Christian, to be Western.

I bet the thousands of Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs living in the U.S. are glad to hear that!

This is the world that David Warren envisions. Everyone Christian. Academics, journalists and people of intelligence not admired for their success but disdained for their lack of true belief. Non-Christians tolerated as long as they are suffeciently "western".

Truly crazy. Truly frightening.

A post-script. There are many conservatives already calling out Warren for his idiocy. Including Michael van der Galien at TMV , Captain Ed and Jules Crittenden. I am sure others will follow suit. Just as liberal does not equal idiot neither does conservative. Individuals are idiots and David Warren certainly is quite an individual.

h/t: David Schraub

1 comment:

Blackjackk said...

Yeah - let's see that loser who wrote the article (as he says about the two journalists I won't even deign to give his name) held at gunpoint with his life on the line. I'll bet he would piss his pants in a heartbeat and give up his own mother in the process.

Does he really believe that any of us Westerners, be us Christian or other (as he obviously sees the rest of us) would actually buy into their conversion. I thought getting out in one piece is really the point. In my country called America, we can see through a propaganda video that these terrorists made for what it is - bullshit propaganda. If other terrorists get off on it, so be it. They are preaching to the converted anyway.

He actually says that their life probably wasn't in danger. Maybe he should get out of his comfy quarters behind his typewriter and see if that is really the case. But I guess it's easier to judge from afar with Jesus on your side. Boy, if I was a Christian true believer, I would be angry as hell at this idiot's assumption that he could speak for me in this way.