Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Good Story


I give the AJC a lot of crap. So, the cosmic karmic equation demands when they do something worthy, I also take note.


So there was no money and no kin to bury him. He'd likely be cremated, he said, and like a lot of churchgoing mountain folk, he believed that would doom him to an eternity in hell. A pine box and a dirt plot were all that could redeem him.
Go read the whole thing. Y'all, will have to forgive me. I'm suddenly overcome with the need to head south and visit the old home place.

Photo: Brant Sandelin/AJC

3 comments:

Sara said...

Having lived among the mountain people for a couple months, I can say that they are incredibly good people. This is a great story, thanks for putting it up so that it reaches a wider audience.

griftdrift said...

My childhood is filled with people like Sammy. Soon, people that remember such hard, hard times will be no more. God bless Foxfire for preserving that which would be lost.

Amber Rhea said...

Great story indeed.