Tuesday, July 10, 2007

NASCAR Politics


Sara has an excellent write up on the sometimes uncomfortable courtship between NASCAR fans and politicians. She also references an article which dives straight into the essence of being a NASCAR fan.

But Don Ward, 48, said there were only three questions Mr. Giuliani needed to know to converse with a fan like himself: “What kind of beer do you like? Who is your favorite manufacturer? And who is your favorite driver?
For the record: Bud, Ford for life, Greg Biffle.

I'm a lifelong Mark Martin fan but even though I am happy he is having fun driving for Ginn Racing, I just can't bring myself to root for him while he's driving a damned Chevy.

And do not get me started on Jeff Gordon.

4 comments:

Sara said...

See, I lose any hope of true Nascar cred when I answer the first question with "Newcastle."

griftdrift said...

Just admit you're an F1 fan. Don't worry. Because you are a girl, they won't beat you up.

Sara said...

But I'm not an F1 fan! I'm not!

I suppose saying I occasionally "slum it" with Bud won't go over well either.

Then again, I also don't really have a favorite driver yet but most of the ones I like aren't really "acceptable" choices. So I'm clearly doomed.

Jmac said...

Good answers ... all three of 'em.

Drinking Bud from a can in the summer on your back porch around 5 p.m. is about as perfect of a day as I can imagine.

Though I've always kinda liked Dale Jr., but I think that's probably because I always think of that SNL skit about Tiny Elvis and they keep calling him 'Little E.'

Then again, I'm not a huge NASCAR fan anyway.