Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Net Neutrality

I have been avoiding the whole Net Neutrality controversy. Heck, I've always thought that by the time the dinosaur slow phone companies get around to doing anything, Google will have lit up all the dark fiber they have been buying.

But when Tim Berners-Lee speaks, even I listen.

When, seventeen years ago, I designed the Web, I did not have to ask anyone’s
permission. The new application rolled out over the existing Internet without
modifying it. I tried then, and many people still work very hard still, to make
the Web technology, in turn, a universal, neutral, platform. It must not
discriminate against particular hardware, software, underlying network,
language, culture, disability, or against particular types of data. The Internet
is increasingly becoming the dominant medium binding us. The neutral
communications medium is essential to our society. It is the basis of a fair
competitive market economy.


I guess I am going to start paying a little more attention to this subject.

No comments: