Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gonzo Lawmakers - Day 36

A daily recap of the Georgia Public Broadcasting show "Lawmakers". The show airs weekdays at 7:00pm with a replay at 5:30am the following weekday.

Day 36

* I seem to be sputtering towards the end. For the first time, I've fallen a day behind. This is a "what the hell have I got myself into" moment. But I am determined to make it to Sine Die so let's proceed.

* With both the Senate and the House clawing through the respective bills, the pace has become frantic. So once again, I'm going to try to sample the tastiest morsels. If you want to get full coverage of what's going on, please turn your attention to Aued, Fain, Gold Dome Live and Georgia Legislative Watch.

* The intro reveals a third person at the desk and the magic of the DVR let's me pause to see it's Valerie. I bet she talks about transportation.

* She is going to talk about transportation and the super speeder bill. One has an increase in Driver's License fees?! Where the hell did that come from?

* There's a dude in a hawaiian shirt standing behind Jerry Keen. I guarantee that's a camera jockey.

* The House shoots down doubling the Homestead Exemption. Again.

* Chip Rogers and a bunch of business breaks. Instead of Earnest Dan Weber we get two shots of Pensieve Nan Orrock. She then takes the well to argue the loss of revenue outweighs the jobs gained. I just noticed Chip Rogers might have a career in radio voice over if he leaves politics. He has a great set of pipes.

* Life without parole modification. Instead of commenting, I give you the option of analysis from a crazy man or from one who actually works in the system.

* 19 bills passed the Senate. Unless there's a clip of someone removing their clothes and dancing like a headless chicken, I'm moving on.

* A bill about government purchasing somehow morphed into a debate about genetically modified food. That can only mean one thing! Hang on kids! It's time to take the train to Crazy Town with Bobby Franklin! He doesn't want foods which have had their DNA mixed about served in the schools. Rep. Jay Roberts (I bet he's a farmer) points out that if you take out everything that's genetically modified (meaning also hybrids) the only thing left for the children to eat will be some tasty air.

* Minoo!

* It's the bill that allows high school students to attend college while still in 11th and 12th grade. Thank god this thing finally passed! I should do a chart of percentage of coverage bills get. I swear it seems like this thing was talked about every other day.

* Emily Banks is in studio and does just fine on her intro to some more trauma things.

* Text while you can, young'uns! The bill to keep you from triple tapping while driving passed a Senate committee.

* They're discussing Bingo again. It's suprisingly complicated.

* Angela Davis! Now there's a blast from the past. She spoke at Ebenezer about about women in prison. She was the keynote for Spark which I don't really know much about but I bet my good friend Catherine stops by to explain.

* That's a wrap for day 36. Jesus God, I've still got to do day 37. So unwrap and proceed.

1 comment:

Amber Rhea said...

I can't believe you don't know about SPARK (it's in all caps); I've mentioned them on my blog many times. I was on their advisory board in 2007 when they adopted the new name, new mission statement, new logo, etc. (They were formerly Georgians for Choice.) Anyway, SPARK is super cool. One of their areas of focus is incarcerated women, and in particular anti-shackling advocacy (women are often shackled when giving birth).