Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Cap Weinberger Passes

Reagan Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger has passed.

I really try to not speak ill of the dead but my first thought was not of his long government service but that he was the highest profile person to be pardoned by Bush I for Iran-Contra. A pardon without the person even being indicted or convicted which usually means, well, you know.

Sure enough, the AP obituary states in its opening paragraph that he was a "central figure in the Iran-Contra scandal".

Old Cap doesn't care any more but it sure would make me wonder about going into politics if I knew the minute I left this Earth the first thing people would talk about was my greatest faults. Comes with the territory I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't like to speak ill of the dead, either, so I'll just let Cap pass on to his eternal reward without comment.