Friday, October 05, 2007

The Face Of Non-Violence


I ruffled the feathers of a few friends with my defense of University of Florida security in their dealings with one young Andrew Meyer.

Events in the world now allow me to explain what may have seemed like an overly passionate response.

It all started with a comment by a single person about how horribly this "non-violent" protestor was treated. At that point, the die was cast. Anger replaced reason.

When I think of non-violent protests, I think of the horror of endless lines of Indians marching forward into a line of British soldiers, fully aware the only result would be the end of a rifle butt. I also think of John Lewis, long ago on that bridge in Alabama, with a baton smashed into is forehead. I now also will think of calm, shorn, holy women marching out of their refuges of peace towards certain death.

In the last week, Buddhist nuns, who in Burma are called Keepers of Virtue, amongst other honored titles, shyly left their shelters and joined with Buddhist monks to protest Senior General Than Schwe’s policies that have purposely bankrupted Burma so he could float in diamonds and rubies while the people drowned in poverty...My correspondent relays that there is nary a nun to be seen anywhere. The fears are high that something very bad has taken place and is being hidden by Than Schwe.
To walk towards death. Surely it requires a reserve of will which few ever tap.

To in any way, in any manner, compare these actions to the antics of an attention seeking jackass who was able to sleep in his own bed less than 24 hours later is an insult so great, it simply will not abide.

Will not abide.

There are still some things that matter in this world.

1 comment:

Joeventures said...

fwiw... just don't lump me in with that crowd. I would more criticize the actions of the police -- and the event organizers to a greater extent -- than I would defend the way Meyer acted.