Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fear and Loathing In Griftdriftville


People keep wanting to call me a Democrat. It's true I mostly hang with the Ds because unlike the Rs, they actually invite me to their reindeer games - where I start talking about guns, the NEA or dissolving the Department of Education to see the look on their faces.

Fine.

I'm a democrat. A South Park democrat. I hate liberals but I really f*cking hate conservatives.

To be the hate one most know the hate. To know the hate one must examine the hate.

Let's take a look at what I consider the two of the harshest comments on the Georgia blogs in the last few days.

First from the left - a commenter at Blog For Democracy speaking of Senate candidate Vernon Jones:


you can get far, even if you are an ultraright douchebag running in a supposedly Democratic primary like vernon jones.
A touch juvenile with just a hint of screaming mimi. But it is the internet. What exactly do you expect?

Now let's look to the right and the state's paragon of righteous rightness Erick Erickson.


Why? Because the media has become the self-appointed propaganda master for Barack Obama’s campaign. The media has become Leni Riefenstahl.
If Mr. Godwin isn't in the house, he's peeking through the door.

This is the latest metastization of the Republican equation which states if the media doesn't report things the way I like them (in other words in a way that fits my agenda alone) it must be biased. Erickson simply adds an additional factor to the math. But comparing the network news to a nazi propagandist partially responsible for the rise of Hitler is a leap of herculean proportions.

And yet, many on the right will stare straight into your face with cherubic eyes and claim they don't understand why people hate them.

So for now, mark me down with a small d. For today at least, I don't want to be anywhere near the big R scum scrapers.

10 comments:

Fearless Leader said...

You said it yourself, some time ago. Something along the lines of "Democrats often disappoint me, but Republicans frequently disgust me." And really, that pretty much sums up the P.O.V. of most common-sensical folk.

Rusty said...

I'm pretty much there too. The Republicans have done more to make me want to be a Democrat than the Democrats ever could have.

I have lost all interest in trying to give those pigfuckers a fair shake. They prey on that little-L liberal sense of there being two reasonable sides to every argument. No, there really isn't. Some "other sides" are unmitigated bullshit (see: intelligent design).

Jen said...

I don't give you a funny look for talking about guns. We should debate the Department of Education over a beer.

griftdrift said...

Yeah but your one of those weird Democrats who doesn't believe in things like seatbelts.

I'd love to talk about the DOE. It would be nearly as much fun as talking about the NEA with theater folks. Or the one time I argued for the destructio of PBS with my best friend....who worked for PBS.

rptrcub said...

I can understand where you're coming from.

I consider myself a Democrat, and somewhat of a liberal.

But I believe in the second amendment. I joke about being a fetus-eating Demrat Libtard, but I have issues in that area, too. And I also believe in fiscal responsibility.

And I really don't like the screaming shrillness of the Daily Kos-evars. They are too humorless and take themselves way, way too seriously.

Pokerista said...

I'd love to watch that beer-fueled debate, and there is even a thingee at Manuel's tonight...

(Mostly I just really need a beer.)

Unknown said...

Meh. That sounds like you've let the pinheads define you.

Parties are not factions, at least in this country, anyway. As such, you ought to be able to tell the little bitches to go jump in the river, without qualifying said response with a party ID.

Jen said...

It really wouldn't be so much of a debate as I would drinking, listening and musing.

MTHEORY said...

I can't believe that I, as a conservative, have to read the blog of a self-professed democrat to even see a mention of dissolving the Department of Education. It makes me all weepy and nostalgic for the days when conservatives cared about what went on in budgets instead of bedrooms. Is this some kind of alternate universe? Does Spock have a beard?

Blanche Debris said...

You're good people, Mr. Drift ;p