Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thin Skin

So in my discussions on internet ethics eventually someone will ask, "why so thin skinned?"

Well, by God, here's why.

Feb. 19, 2007: AJC Editor tells us all her paper is going to show us how it should be done in the online world.

March 18, 2007: Creative Loafing's Murray Grievous states collaboration between new and traditional media may never be possible.

June 7, 2007: GPB's Susanne Capaluto at an APC event calls bloggers "entertainers".

June 17, 2007: Athens Banner Herald editor Jim Thompson uses a commentor as an example of why the mainstream media's use of real names gives it credibility.

Dec. 17, 2007: UGA journalism professor David Hazinski says "citizen journalisism" has the strong probability of fraud and abuse.

Dec. 21, 2007: Athens Banner-Herald writer Blake Aued tells bloggers "When y’all start doing your own reporting, rather than rely on rumors, press releases and the dreaded MSM, then you can call yourselves journalists".

July 29, 2008: Macon Telegraph's Travis Fain snidely referring to BloggerGuy09.

July 30, 2008: Creative Loafing Editor Ken Edelstein wondering how we can trust any anonymous blogger.

So the next time you think something written about bloggers is clever or original, it probably isn't. And the next time you ask us why our skin is so thin, we may respond, "why because of all the gentle pats on the back you've given us!"

7 comments:

Lucid Idiocy said...

Ironically, you have mis-spelled my name.

Amber Rhea said...

I'm not sure that's irony.

Lucid Idiocy said...

You kind of have to squint.

griftdrift said...

Told you I'm a terrible copy writer. At least I converted it to "Fair". Freud or something like that. ;-)

Anonymous said...

As I've told you, Grift, I appreciate the fact that you seem to be an open-minded person and are willing to take the time to do some shoe-leather work, like with the Genarlow Wilson case.

And you're not one of those schaudenfreud types - Spacey, I'm looking at you - applauding with glee at the demise of traditional media.

Far too many bloggers, though, merely pass along whatever falls in their lap or cynically deride the work of the newspapers they depend on for information.

I submit to you, and I think you'll agree, that the world needs paid, professional, full-time (redundant?) journalists. We are endangered, though, and may become extinct.

This is not bloggers' fault, at least not directly. But more people are relying on blogs for news, and more traditional outlets are relying on blogs to create cheaper content than investigative reporting.

There is a place for blogs. But if traditional media dies, the blogs that are too busy, lazy or unethical to gather their own information will die to.

BTW, we like being labeled out-of-touch, clueless corporate pawns by the bloggerati about as much as you like being labeled as unreliable diletantes.

The ABH is trying to do the multimedia thing right, and ideally we can all co-exist. There's a place for everyone, I hope.

Blake Aued

griftdrift said...

And Blake I think you will agree, that I give credit when credit is due. For example when your boss went all the way from lashing out at an unknown commentor to actually defending us types from that idiot Hazinski. I'm willing to recognize progress but I'm going to call you on lapses too. And I wouldn't expect anything less than you calling us on our lapses. Just don't lump us all together. And you know most of the time you don't. And some are better than others. But even the good ones sometimes only admit it after being called out.

And I am one of those who believe their is another way. I believe the world needs both of us. And maybe one day we can coexist and recognize boths strengths and weaknesses without having to have this same conversation every six months.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Blogger vs. reporter is played out. I never want to have this conversation again as long as I live.