Thursday, May 25, 2006

Only Democrats Need Civil Rights History?

I weep for us all.

UGA freshman questions the need for Civil Rights history.

Last week, however, a freshman in my 300-seat US History Since 1865 course
came in to discuss her exam with one of the graders and proceeded to work
herself into a semi-hissy over the fact that we had spent four class
periods(one
of them consisting of a visit from Taylor Branch) discussing the
civil rights
movement.

"I don't know where he's getting all of
this," she complained,"we
never discussed any of this in high school." One
might have let the matter rest
here as simply an example of a high school
history teacher's sins of omission
being visited on the hapless old history
prof. had the student not informed the
TA in an indignant postcript, " I'm
not a Democrat! I don't think I should have
to listen to this stuff!"

UGA! UGA!

No comments: