Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A New Adventure Begins


Here's the deal. I'm a pretty decent poker player. I win my share of home games and the occasional free bar tournament. Given the recent poker boom these performances sometimes lead to praise. It's good for the ego but every decent poker player understands ego cannot alter reality. Being a good poker player at your home game is a little like being a good singer at the local karaoke bar. It does not mean you are anything but a fish if you choose to swim in the deep ocean. But evolution is a wonderful thing. Sometimes a fish has to venture into the deep waters. Almost all die a swift, horrible death but one in a million adapts and becomes something new and wonderful.

I am walking out the door, climbing in my car and heading west. To Tunica, MS and the satellite qualifying for the World Series of Poker Circuit Event. Lately, I have been on a bad run of cards and poor play. All odds are that I will return on Friday or Saturday with my tail between my legs. But sometimes you have to take that chance. Sometimes you get an opportunity to make a run and you have to take it. That's poker.

See you in about 7 hours.

7 comments:

rusty said...

Awesome! Living the drunkard's dream! I have several friends who would be very jealous, as am I.

Jen. CHICKTASTIC! said...

GOOD LUCK JAMES!

Sara said...

I am so happy that you are finally doing this. I am sure you will have an awesome time and a million stories for us before it's all over.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Grayson: Atlanta, GA said...

You mean to tell us that there's something more important to you than keeping watch over the '07 Georgia Legislature? You must have, like, a life or something. Hmmmppphhh.

Steve said...

Good Luck. Take all the free odds you can in craps.

possum said...

Isn't gambling a sin? Shouldn't someone tell Bobby Franklin?

Jen said...

I am so fucking jealous.