Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Oh Cynthia, My Cynthia

As a resident of the Georgia 4th, I feel compelled to keep posting.

First, I am not even going to get into the hair thing since as a white guy it is apparent I wouldn't even know what the hell I am talking about. It's a ridiculous thing anyway. Just another sign of the times we live in. Haircuts now cause two day political news cycles.

What I really want to know is why is the federal prosecutor pushing this? For reasons that aren't clear, we don't have the videotape of the incident. Makes you feel really good about that whole security thing at our vital centers doesn't it? So, based on what was witnessed my impression is that the "incident" amounted to not much more than a third grade slap-fest. We really need this clogging up the federal judiciary?

A colleague pointed out two things. First, the federal prosecutor for D.C. was appointed by who? Okay, good point. Second, the federal prosecutor has to continue to be able to work closely with the Capital Police. Even better point.

The fact is taking this thing to court may be the only way we find out exactly what the hell happened. At this point, we have only scraps of witness testimony to paint a picture.

In the meantime, McKinney can talk about racial profiling and play the martyr. Her opponents can portray her as a loon and paint anyone associated with her as a loon. The House Republicans can spin this into another Democrats are lax on security story.

And the residents of the Georgia 4th will sit back and wonder, good God what next?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. Did you see The Daily Show last night (4/4/06)?

Hysterical!

griftdrift said...

Due to a delayed birthday drinking binge I missed the Daily Show last night. I'm praying Crooks & Liars will have a clip today.